Wednesday, October 29, 2008

AKs are okay!

I also fired 60 rounds through a new Romanian WASR-10 semi-auto AK yesterday.
I put 30 rounds of basic ball and soft points into 3 inches at 25 yards from the standing offhand position. Another 15 in rapid fire opened the group up to 5-6 inches. I was able to hit rocks and dirt clods of about 6-8 inches size at 100 yards from standing. I nailed a torso-sized flat rock that's set upright at the 150 yard line until it was boring. Aside from mounting an A1-style birdcage flash hider on it, I'm going to leave this one pretty much stock for the time being.
I was able to induce one failure to feed by pushing the magazine from side to side. The round just sat in the magazine, wasn't picked up and chambered by the bolt. I was doing this check because the mag well opening seemed a little, shall we say, generous? But it only happened once in the first 20 rounds and I couldn't induce that failure again. Short of really whacking on the magazine, I don't see how it would be a problem. The mags locked up tight and were securely in place.
Like all the Romanian AKs I've handled it was full of metal chips and grease when I first opened it up, the chips coming from where they ground out the metal to allow it to feed from standard magazines. Brushing and cleaning and lubing it with LSA made it run slickly.
I considered a Saiga SGL10 at much more money, but they require either that you modify the locking lug on your magazines or modify the mag catch. I didn't feel like fooling with it. This will do what an AK does - runs, hits, tolerates abuse.
It might not be purty, but it works. Photos to follow.

No comments: