Monday, August 4, 2008

Buckshot and Slugs, lotsa lead downrange!

Well, shotgun fans, the report on the results of the buckshot and slug comparisons conducted this week using the fabulous FN SLP shotgun will have to be posted at at a later date this week, since I got caught up in trying to put things together for resuming concealed carry classes here in Frankfort and ran out of time to photograph all the targets that resulted so I could post them here.
So you know what I'm talking about, a couple of days ago I went out and shot and compared TEN buckshot loads and FIVE slug loads at different ranges. Photos were made of all the targets and basic data recorded. More will follow about all this, along with some more extensive testing of the XDm .40 pistol now that more ammo has arrived from Midway USA.
But to tide you over, here's a teaser for you from the slug comparison.
Take a look at this target -

It was shot at 25 yards from the bench with the FN SLP with ghost ring sights. That hole was made by FIVE Brenneke 'Black Magic' 2 3/4 inch, 1 ounce field magnum slugs passing through it at about 1500 fps. It measures about 1 3/4 inch long by 1 1/4 inch wide, IIRC. I didn't know that I could still shoot such a group!
I've also found a new buckshot load to replace the Federal H132 that I've been using in my guns for the last few years, and it's a doozy.
So stay tuned and by this weekend we should have the rest of the test posted for you, with some surprises and some disappointments to report.


No comments: